- 143 (Registered)
Every business needs money to run but not all of us have enough of it. Thus, raising funds is a vital aspect to start, grow or even to sustain a business. This course covers the key ingredients of how to raise funds for your company. You will learn how to increase your chance of getting funded, especially by angel investors or venture capitalists. You will also discover the varieties of funds that you could tap, some you might never have thought of. And learn the process of fundraising in a 7-step process that is easy to follow.
The instructor received over 7 investment offers throughout his career as an entrepreneur and pitched to hundreds of investors in Asia, US and UK. Here he shares the details that only a person who went through the phases of raising funds could offer.
What Will I Learn?
- How to use the 7-step approach when looking for investment.
- Know the common misunderstandings about fundraising.
- Discover the different sources of funds and how difficult to obtain them.
- Remember the dos and don’ts when seeking investment.
- Understand what motivates investors to invest – it’s not just for money, you know.
- Know the difference between angel investor and venture capitalist and their respective characteristics – the good, the bad and the ugly.
- Discover how to protect your business private information from dishonest investors – NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) may not work.
- Know what investors look for in a company and their different investment appetites.
- Find out when is the best time to raise funds and how to increase your chances of getting one.
- No experience is required.
- No existing business or business idea is required, however, it is recommended.
- Persistence and ability to accept rejections is an added advantage to you.
- Nov 10, 2018: Common FAQs from Investors.
- Oct 21, 2018: Added lesson – What to Say to An Investor.
Note: This is an evolving course thus more lessons will be added later.
Sources of Funds
- Different Sources of Funds & How Difficult to Obtain
- Source of Fund – Yourself or Your Partner
- Source of Fund – Credit Card
- Source of Fund – Friends, Family or Fools
- Source of Fund – Purchase-order financing
- Source of Fund – Loans
- Source of Fund – Grants or Subsidies
- Source of Fund – Incubator or Accelerator
- Source of Fund – Angel Investors
- Source of Fund – Crowdfunding
- Source of Fund – Venture Capital
Understanding Standard Investors, Angel Investors and Venture Capitalists
- What Motivates Investors to Invest
- What Investors Look for in Investees
- Difference Between Angel Investor and Venture Capitalist
- Characteristics of Angels and VCs
- Where to Find Angels and Venture Capitalists
- How to Approach an Investor
- How to Break the Ice With an Investor
- How to Protect Your Business Info From Investors
How to Get Funded
7-Step Approach to Fundraising
Just what I needed to learn.
Absolutely good for beginners. Hope you can add more insights such as about term sheet and negotiations
I had the privilege to be mentored by Melvin and this course is a great extension of the advice he gave me on pitching and business plan writing
Probably the most insightful course about raising funds that I ever took. So that's what really drove investors to invest and now I know their characteristics. I like the long list of sources of financing too!